Federal Skilled Worker Program
Federal Skilled Worker
Welcome to the official website of the Canada Immigration Global. 45+ Years of Excellence

    Complete the form below to contact the Canada Immigration Global.
    Trusted by 50,000+ Satisfied Clients

    Federal Skilled Worker Program

    Canada’s premier worker immigration program, the Federal Skilled Worker Program (also known as the Federal Skilled Worker Class), allows the nation to accept a large number of immigrants each year based on their potential to integrate into the country’s workforce.

    It is one of Express Entry’s three Federal Immigration programs and is very popular among skilled immigrants around the world. Just as its name speaks, it allows skilled individuals to apply for skilled occupations in Canada and receive the Canadian PR while working in that particular occupational category, initially.

    What Are The Advantages Of FSWP?
    • Candidates for the Federal Skilled Worker Class are eligible regardless of their relationship to Canada. The program is a great choice for those who live outside of Canada because the minimal requirements for professional experience, language skills, and education can all be met elsewhere.
    • Candidates for the Federal Skilled Worker Program receive the highest proportion of invitations to apply; more than half of all invitations were sent to FSWC applicants.

    Even if you are qualified to apply for a position under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, there is no assurance that you will get a request to submit an application. Consult our tutorial on how to raise your CRS score if it falls below the threshold needed to be invited.

    It is not sufficient to simply have expertise in a skilled field, so let’s discuss the qualifying conditions for the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

    Qualifications for Federal Skilled Worker Program
      • Job Experience: Twelve months of full-time, skilled work experience, or an equivalent number of part-time hours, are required. This training needs to be ongoing and in a particular profession. You must have held a job at the National Occupation Classification level for your experience to be deemed “skilled” (NOC) Ability Level 0 or A or B.
      • Language Competence: You should pass a test that demonstrates your proficiency in either French or English. The Canadian Language Benchmark of Level 7 (CLB 7) is the required minimum score for the FSWC, but the higher your score, the greater your chances of getting a good CRS score. 
      • Education: You should have earned a high school diploma in Canada or the equivalent as of the date of application. You must submit an Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA) proving the worth of your education according to Canadian standards if you finished your schooling outside of Canada.
      • All candidates for federal skilled workers (FSWs) must receive at least 67 out of a possible 100 points on the FSW point’s grid. 
      • Money for Your Settlement: You need to have adequate money to support your stay in Canada. Below are the specifics.
      • You must fulfill a number of basic eligibility requirements in order to be allowed to file an Express Entry profile under the Federal Skilled Worker Program:

    You might be qualified to submit an Express Entry profile if you meet these minimal requirements. Please be aware, though, that just because you meet the requirements does not mean you will be asked to make a formal application for Canadian permanent residency.

    As it is a points-based immigration program, the candidates with the highest scores will get the ITAs. 

    Continued below…

      Complete the form below to contact the Canada Immigration Global.
      Trusted by 50,000+ Satisfied Clients


      1 Million



      Contact Us

      The Express Entry Roadmap

      Our free Express Entry Roadmap will give you all the information you need to navigate your Express Entry process!

      Grid for Federal Skilled Worker Points

      Applicants must attain a minimum score of 67 out of 100 on this scoring grid in order to be considered for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. Please be aware that the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), which ranks all Express Entry profiles, is not the same points system as this one.

      The scoring grid for the Federal Skilled Worker Program takes six things into account.

      1. Language proficiency test scores- up to 28 points

      If you can demonstrate proficiency in a second language, an additional four Federal Skilled Worker points are available, bringing your total number of FSW Canada points up to 24. If your spouse/common-law partner, if appropriate, can also demonstrate language proficiency, you can get an extra five FSW points.

      2. Education: up to 25 points

      Level of education


      Doctoral Level


      Master’s level or professional degree


      Two or more post-secondary credentials, one of which was for three years or longer in duration


      Three-year or longer post-secondary credential (e.g. Bachelor’s degree)


      Two-year post-secondary credential


      One-year post-secondary credential


      Secondary school


      3. Work experience: 15 FSW points maximum

      The Federal Skilled Worker Program and work experience:

      • Only experience in skilled labor counts. Work experience in a profession covered by a National Occupational Classification (NOC) code at the 0, A, or B level is considered skilled professional experience for federal skilled workers.
      • For an applicant to be qualified under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, they must receive at least nine points under the work experience category.
      4. Age: up to 12 FSW points



      18 to 35 (inclusive)
























      47 and over


      5. Arranged Employment gets up to 10 Points
      6. Ability to adapt: up to 10 points

      Applicants for the Federal Skilled Worker Program may receive up to 10 points under the adaptation element, which evaluates a person’s or family’s capacity to establish them in Canada from an economic and social perspective.

      Determine your FSW eligibility.

      Visit our Express Entry CRS Calculator to see if you might be eligible for Canada’s Federal Skilled Worker Program. Along with learning about your possible CRS score and competitiveness inside Express Entry, you’ll learn if you qualify for any of the three federal economic immigration programs governed by Express Entry.

      Which professionals is Canada in need of?

      The Federal Specialized Worker Program in Canada is now open to a wide spectrum of employees, including those with expertise in any skilled occupation (NOC 0, A, or B). 

      Click here to find out if your work experience qualifies you as competent if you’re not sure.

      Federal Skilled Worker Jobs in Canada

      There are thousands of jobs that are regarded as skilled.

      • Skill Type 0: 

      Management positions, including those in restaurants, wholesale and retail businesses, the food service industry, hotels, and more, fall under the category of skill type 0.

      • Skill Level A: 

      Professional positions at skill level A typically require a university degree, such as a variety of Information Technology (IT) positions, construction and engineering positions, and positions in the legal profession, among others.

      • Skill Level B:

      Technical positions and skilled jobs at skill level B include jobs like cooks, plumbers, general office employees, retail salespeople, and others that typically require a college degree or apprenticeship training.

      FSW application process: Step-by-step guidelines

      Let’s examine the procedure, starting with eligibility verification and ending with receiving your Permanent Resident (PR) card.

      Step 1: Determine your eligibility.

      Verify that you satisfy the program’s minimal standards for job experience, linguistic competency, and schooling using the qualifying criteria listed above. Additionally, be sure to review your score on the FSW point’s chart.

      Step 2: Acquire the paperwork you need to set up an account.

      You’ll need three different sorts of documentation to create your Express Entry profile, including

      Identification: Ensure that your passport is still valid.

      Language Proficiency: You must have passed a valid language proficiency test within 2 years before you created your account in order to submit test results. Individuals can take the IELTS or CELPIP test for English. The TEF and TCF are the two alternatives offered for French.

      Education: An Educational Credentials Assessment is required for education earned outside of Canada (ECA).

      Step 3: Create a profile for Express Entry.

      The IRCC site is used to accomplish this stage. A few pieces of private details will be required of you; some of them are self-declared (like your employment history), while some of them need to be submitted with the paperwork from the prior step.

      Step 4: Enhance your CRS profile and ranking

      Consult our tutorial on how to raise your CRS score if it falls below the threshold needed to be invited to apply.

      Retaking your language requirements is one common way to raise your CRS score.

      If your scores may be higher, it might be beneficial to study for a bit before taking the test once more.

      There are additional possible ways to raise your rating, such as gaining more work experience or checking to see if you qualify for one of the Provincial Nominee Program streams connected with Express Entry, especially those in the province where you work. There might be a 600-point boost waiting for you if the province finds use for your expertise and abilities.

      Step 5: Obtain an application invitation

      The opportunity to apply for permanent residence with your family, if applicable, makes this phase possibly the most enjoyable.

      You will then have 60 days to complete and submit your application. When the IRCC conducts one of its drawings from the Express Entry pool, ITAs are given out.

      Step 6: Pass a medical exam, provide background information for security purposes, and submit an online application.

      All candidates for Federal Skilled Worker positions undergo screening for possible criminal and medical ineligibility. You must include documentation supporting the completion of a medical examination with an IRCC-approved panel doctor with your application.

      A police background check (popularly called a clearance certificate) from each nation you have resided in for at least six months since turning 18 is also required.

      The e-application also requires a thorough work recommendation letter from former employers, which should be provided within 60 days of acquiring an ITA.

      It is a smart option to compile criminal record checks and work letters of recommendation before you acquire an ITA because of the short turnaround time.

      Step 7: A review of your electronic application

      After reviewing your electronic application, a Canadian immigration official will inform you of any additional requirements.

      Step 8: Obtain verification of your identity as a lawful permanent resident and finish your landing

      In fewer than six months, 80% of applications filed under the Federal Skilled Worker Program are processed. Confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) certificate is sent to the person once their application has been accepted.

      When a residence permit is awarded, an official at a Canadian entry point or at the IRCC office signs and dates this documentation.

      Step 9: Get your PR card

      You can then submit an application for your PR card after receiving your status confirmation. You could use this certificate as evidence of your Canadian residency when leaving the country.

      Find assistance with your application

      We created the Express Entry Roadmap as a free service to educate you about the Express Entry procedure and equip you with the knowledge you need to make the best immigration choices. Register here for the Express Entry Roadmap.

      Continued below…

      Get your questions answered by an expert

      Speak with a regulated immigration consultant to help plan your move.

      Popular Immigration Programs

      Have a Question?

      Get in touch with us and our friendly staff will get back to you as soon as possible!